New analysis shows all Yorkshire’s Labour MP’s voted remain on Brexit.

January 15, 2019

By Eleanor Dawson and Shaun Turner.

Recent analysis from Leeds Beckett University shows that all of Yorkshires Labour MP’s backed the vote to remain in the European Union. While only 41% of the Conservative MP’s voted to remain, with the remaining 59% voting to leave.

We visualised the Brexit voting results by colouring in a map of the Yorkshire Constituencies. All pink areas are the ones the voted to remain in the EU, while the brown areas voted to leave.

The Labour constituencies all voted remain which outweighed the Yorkshire Conservative MP's with only 59% voting to leave the EU and the remaining 41% voting remain.

Labour MP’s all voted remain which outweighed the Yorkshire Conservative MP’s, with only 59% voting to leave the EU and the remaining 41% voting remain.

Looking at all 54 of Yorkshires MP’s, as well as Brexit votes, we examine the MP’s party affiliation, roles for their constituency (for example shadow minister), the debates the MP’s took part in over the past year, how many times they mentioned their constituency in parliament, their electorate, their voting records and how many times they rebelled against their party.

Despite Labour claiming to be on the fence with their stance on Brexit. It seems Yorkshire MP’s remain in support of the European Union.

All 37 Yorkshire Labour MP's backed the remain vote. With just 7 out of the 17 Conservative Yorkshire MP's also voring remain.

All 37 Yorkshire Labour MP’s backed the remain vote. With just 7 out of the 17 Conservative Yorkshire MP’s also voting remain.

It was also a surprise that 41% of the Yorkshire Conservative party voted to remain back in 2016, this in itself is going against the party’s belief on Brexit. As the majority of Conservatives were for leaving the EU.

Christoph Bluth, a Professor of international relations and security at the University of Bradford, explained the way some MP’s made their decision on Brexit:

“Every time an MP defies the whip it reflects on them in terms of loyalty, but in case of the May deal MP’s believe the rebellion against the Conservative leadership will be so large that loyalty to the party demands actually rejecting it. Not all MP’s take this view however.”

Voting on Theresa May’s deal or no Brexit today. It will be interesting to see if the votes in parliament follow our correlation of Labour MP’s voting to remain and Conservative’s having split opinions.

 

Share

PinIt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *